AEW performs a wide variety of bridge engineering services, from inspecting existing pedestrian timber bridges to design of multi-lane, multi-span vehicular precast structures on pile foundations. In addition, we provide bi-annual inspection services on approximately 50 bridges and culverts for 8 municipal clients (Mt. Clemens, New Haven, Rochester, Birmingham, New Baltimore, Warren, Algonac, and St. Clair Shores) in accordance with MDOT and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requirements. Recently, MDOT has required load rating, scour evaluation, stream cross section documentation, and calculations for all structures. We have performed these required services for all of our municipal bridge inspection clients. Either as a result of these inspections or through specific requests, we have provided clients with expertise in bridge scoping as well.
Upon evaluation of repair and cost estimates, grant assistance frequently including applications for Local Bridge Program (LBP) Funding through MDOT for preventative maintenance, rehabilitation, or replacement projects, or simple annual maintenance recommendations are provided. We recently completed two LBP applications for complete structure replacement for our Birmingham and Mt. Clemens clients.
AEW also provides design of new or replacement bridges, rehabilitation of existing structures, and construction engineering in accordance with applicable MDOT, FHWA and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) standards for federal, state, or local agency funded projects.
The following are examples of bridge and culvert related projects completed in recent years that were not for the municipal clients above:
- Completed 2021 Malow Junior High School Walkway Bridge Replacement – Utica Community Schools
- In-construction West Pedestrian Bridge Rehabilitation – Macomb Community College
- In-construction Denton Drive Bridge Rehabilitation – City of Warren
- Completed 2021 Lake Front Park Vehicular Bridge Replacement – City of Grosse Pointe Woods
- Completed 2021 Shoreline Culvert Assessment – City of Sterling Heights
- Bidding East Culvert Rehabilitation – Macomb Community College
- Completed 2021 Culvert Rehabilitation – Grosse Pointe Yacht Club
- Completed 2022 Jaycee Park Pathway and Bridge- City of Troy
- In Design 25 Mile Pedestrian Bridge- Shelby Township
- In-construction Cass Avenue Bridge Sidewalk – Clinton Township